Tuesday, August 21, 2012

LTTP: Tangled

I am a strong believer in the fact that if you want to know a person you look their shoes. However, if you really want to know someone, ask them one question: What is your favorite Disney movie and why?
What you learn from this question can be immeasurable. If the person says they don't have a favorite, you can derive that A: The person is lying to cover up the fact that they do have a favorite Disney movie and are insecure. This is not a person worthy of your time. B: They actually don't have a Disney movie. In this case, they've had a terrible childhood and are probably emotionally damaged.
Secondly, they have to answer 'why' and 'Ummm like, I dunno... just cause!' is not a real answer. If an adult cannot develop a cognitive reason as to why they like something as simple as a Disney movie, then you really shouldn't be hanging out at the special Olympics.  
Whats's that? What is my favorite Disney movie?
I'm glad you asked. 2010's Tangled. Why? Here's why and then some.
Admittedly, I didn't know about Tangled until about 6 months after it was released. I had heard about it online from people praising its genius. I never turn down a Disney movie but I went into the viewing with a few doubts. First off, I was shaky on the idea that it is a musical Disney movie. I have nothing against musical movies but I had been trained by the past few years of Pixar dominance that a good kid's movie doesn't have to have musical numbers. Secondly, I hate to confess but, the fact that it wasn't Pixar had me rooting against it from the start. The last movie Disney computer animated without Pixar was Bolt and that was instantly forgettable.
I realized I was wrong from the very beginning of the movie. The plot is laid out in a 5 minute opener that defines the villain; her motivations and her out of control hubris. This is followed by one the best songs in the movie. At that point in the movie I was hooked. All the characters are developed and interesting. Not to mention that character design is superb.
Just look at these guys...
Just from looking are they good guys or bad guys? If you're still not sure, they are called the Stabbington Brothers.
It is this kind of simple visual rhetoric used throughout the movie that makes it so good.
How good is the music, really? Good enough that I bought the soundtrack on iTunes. First off, I never buy movie OST's and secondly, I never buy music of iTunes. That's how good.
Also this....

Don't lie, you cracked a smile during that and it is probably stuck in your head now. If you didn't like it you should go get help, you are most likely the emotionally scarred person we talked about earlier.
I think I have said enough. Go see this movie. Love it. Share it with your children, they are the future, they deserve the best.

No comments: